Saturday, November 8, 2008

"You Haven't Eaten Until You've Had NSHIMA!"

Well, quite a long time ago I remember typing that once I learned some things about Zambia I would post that information here 'soon'. Well, here is that post, sorry about not holding to my word where time is concerned:



Item 1:

The above picture is of the staple food called Nshima (Sheema). It is essentially a mush that is made by mixing dampened cornmeal with boiling water and stirring the mixture until a sticky consistency results as the water boils off. Once this is achieved, vegetables or meat chunks can be added to the top as a 'relish'. It is really quite good, bland, but not offensive to taste. When I make Nshima I must admit that I frequently break the 'eat with hands' rule and use a spoon instead as you can see from the picture of this morning's helping. In Zambia Nshima is considered an important element to every meal, and I've read that the locals will not admit to having eaten until they've had some Nshima. Hence, "You haven't eaten until you've had Nshima!"





Item 2:

Zambia is a very poor country. The monetary unit is the Zambian Kwacha, and as of late and for much of the past decades the inflation rate of that money has been very high. As it stands one U.S. Dollar is the equivalent of approximately 3,500 Kw (ZMK). Interestingly enough, to open a bank account in Zambia one must have a minimum of 1,000,000 Kw. Therefore everyone in Zambia with a bank account is a millionaire but not necessarily rich (1 million Kw = 285.71 USD). Being so poor, this country has not been developed in the ways other African countries have, and so the infrastructure to support tourism and commercialization of its many national parks has not happened. That is why Zambia is often called the "Real Africa". I am glad to be going to a somewhat pristine place, it must be beautiful. Additionally the Peace Corps Zambia experience is said to be the most similar of nearly all other programs to that of what was experienced by volunteers when the Peace Corps began service in the 1960's. I consider this a privilege to say the very least, I can't wait to see the monetarily poor, but rich in every other aspect Zambia for myself!

(Thanks to blahblahblog.wordpress.com)

Item 3:

Mail is very slow in Zambia. If you mail me a letter it will probably take between two weeks and a month to arrive. I will likely have a P.O. Box at a post office for most of my service, save the training period, and will only be able to check mail as often as I can by riding a mountain bike a potentially lengthy distance to the nearest town where my P.O. Box is located. Packages are okay to send they just might take a little longer to arrive, as a matter a fact letters and packages from people at home will likely be a welcome sight during my service so I encourage it! I will of course do what I can to send you some things in packages and write plenty of letters.

(Thanks to 'Outsideinnovation.blogspot.com)

Item 4: (Last Item for today but there are a zillion other things I want to put here)

I will be living in a mud-brick hut with a grass thatched roof. NO Electricity, NO running water, Pit latrine, out-door cooking, the works! I have heard that getting used to that life-style is easier than it sounds. I plan to keep an open mind and confront every situation as best I can. So, NO I'm not afraid of living in the Zambian bush. I will likely live some miles from the nearest town so I will be doing a lot of bicycle riding on dirt roads whose condition may be questionable. One really cool thing: I've heard most anything will grow in Zambia because of its favorable climate. I plan to plant a garden and see what comes of it. Additionally, I may just be able to make the area around my hut look nice by installing some aesthetically pleasing plants nearby!

Anyway, there's a volume and a half more that I could write but I'll hold off for now. I'll post some more stuff later (no time guarantees this time!). Have a great day!

Peace and God Bless!

No comments: